Challenge by Choice

This past weekend, the MHRM Class of ’18 (alongside some amazing class of ’17 peers) went out into the wilderness for Summit Vision 2016! What an experience– and what a way to bond through sweat, tears, and laughter. The day began with several challenges that are top secret “For Your Eyes Only”-type missions. Let’s just say it involved tennis ball “values”, PVC pipe, and one very brave, nimble team member named Billy. One key statement that came about completing these first set of challenges was this idea of “Analysis Paralysis.” That’s where you spend too much time thinking strategy that you end up in a continuous loop of ideas with no action! Once we were given a time limit, we rushed to complete– and eventually won through our communication, determination, and grit.

14124348_1131314603615906_5041417143517073593_o (For Your Eyes Only!)

We split into teams and headed into the woods. Now for the true wild stuff! First, Team 3 (but really we were number one) had to complete challenges on a large bridge-type teeter-totter. Again the challenges are hush-hush; however, some very important things came about. First, in our group of fifteen there were so many great ideas, and what was even better was the fact that we listened to each other! Five challenges brought about five different leaders, and a multitude of great ideas. We constantly tried new things never fearing major consequences, because we trusted each other and knew we would just think of the next idea if the original failed.  We constantly remembered “Analysis Paralysis” and just went with it. The final challenge showed that when an idea that fourteen of the fifteen group members were highly skeptical, yet we trusted and just took a leap of faith (quite literally).

The last thing that really stuck with my from Summit Vision is this idea of challenge by choice. You always want to grow and develop, and the only way to do that is to challenge yourself to push beyond your comfort zone. I am terrified of the idea of falling from heights (thank you, genetics). One of the obstacles was a pendulum-style wire swing. You have to climb up these narrow rungs, stay at the top of a platform, and then right before you swing you have to edge your way to the millimeter edge and just go. I was so scared, and shaking through every bone, muscle, and fiber in my body. However, I heard so many words of encouragement; but, what pushed me over the edge was knowing if I can make it from Ohio to Georgia and go through grad school, then a swing was not going to hinder my learning!

14086199_1131316056949094_2361562042402473895_o
(Conquering my fear of falling and pushing myself out of my comfort zone)

At the end of the day we regrouped, reflected, and talked about our gold (what our group has value and strength in) and our goal (our group/individual potential). Today I know that our gold is certainly our support, and my personal goal is trying new things even if they scare me. It also helps that there are people surrounding me that support and help me push through. (It also helps to debrief with a nice Columbus Crew victory as well).

Always remember to avoid analysis paralysis, and sometimes if it’s scary to find you a supportive group, and just take a leap of faith. The further from your comfort zone you are, then the stronger you are going to become in the end.

14088654_340768139645586_6013831236034463872_n(Our amazing group from Summit Vision 2016)

Go Buckeyes!

Chase Lakhani