CFA Research Challenge Pt. 2

Well, after almost five months of research, writing and preparation, we were finally readyEditing to give our presentation. On Tuesday, my research team and I got up in front of a panel of CFA charter holders to give a recommendation on Owens Corning, a basic materials company headquartered in Toledo. Just to recap, every year The CFA Society puts on a research challenge open to all colleges. The challenge consists of writing a research paper (my last blog) and giving a presentation to the local CFA societies (in our case, Columbus, Dayton and Cincinnati). We successfully made it past the paper stage a few weeks back and have since been preparing a slide deck and presentation based on our paper. The presentation was to be 10 minutes long and broken down into a few sections: company introduction and recent events, business segment descriptions, industry overview, financial analysis, valuation (the most important part) and risks. After the presentation there was another 10 minute session but this time the panel could ask us any questions they had.

So we knew exactly what the presentation would be like, we just needed to finalize what we wanted to say and practice until we had it down. It took almost no time to put together our slide deck…memorizing what we were going to say took a bit longer. As a team, we met a few times in the week leading up to the presentation to practice. In the end, we knew that getting up in front of the panel would be a beast all on its own.

Practicing

Finally, presentation day came and what better way to bond with your team then to ride in a minivan together. We made our way down to Wilmington, Ohio (a midpoint between Columbus, Dayton and Cincinnati) and signed in right around 4pm. The schedule was: Ohio University at 5:00, Capital University at 5:30, Ohio State Team Sheridan at 6:00 and Ohio State Team Wellman at 6:30 (that’s right, Ohio State sent two teams!).

whole team

While Ohio University was presenting, we decided to find another room where we could practice a few more times. Needless to say, we were a little nervous. For the life of me, I could not remember one of my lines and I was worried it wouldn’t come to me when the spotlight was on. Time was drawing near as we headed back to the waiting room. Ohio State Team Sheridan came out of the presentation room looking confident which, honestly, made me more nervous! Nonetheless, it was go time!

winners

We walked in, greeted the panel, and off we went. I think we did pretty well and apparently the panel agreed! Ohio State Team Wellman took home the victory and will be headed to Chicago in April to compete in the national level competition. Who knows, maybe we can make the Americas competition or even the global level! Look for more to come on the CFA Research Challenge, the journey isn’t over!

(Winners!)