Q&A with a Part-time MHRM Student: Chanelle V.

Hometown: Eagan, Minnesota
Undergraduate Major: Economics & Strategic Communication
How do you manage work and school (views on work/life balance, and tips): Planning, planning, planning! I have realized that my time management is better when I have more things to do. I have no choice but to allocate my time wisely; however, it is easy to get so caught up in work and school that personal life is often an afterthought. My advice would be to schedule time for yourself – just like you would schedule a group meeting or devote time to studying. It’s important to let yourself recharge by doing things you enjoy so school and work don’t become overwhelming. (My favorite thing to do is playing with my dogs!)
"Mom! Enough studying, I need belly rubs!”“Mom! Enough studying, I need belly rubs!”
Favorite MHRM class thus far in the program: One of my favorite classes in the program has to be Talent Management taught by Dr. Larry Inks. There are so many interesting topics covered in the course including talent acquisition, performance management, succession planning, and more. This class helped me realize my professional interests and challenged me to be introspective and think about how the course material has related to my personal experiences.
Favorite extracurricular activity at Fisher: I love being on the MHRM Council! It is so much fun to come up with ways to strengthen the MHRM community and watch them come to fruition. Our goal is to positively impact the program both in and out of the classroom, and the ability to watch the program evolve with the support of our efforts is incredibly rewarding.
Advice you would give prospective students considering the program part-time: Go for it! There are so many learning, networking, and development opportunities that are made available at Fisher, and having the ability to pursue the program part-time is an excellent way to further your education at your own pace. The MHRM program’s evening classes don’t conflict with the traditional workday, so students (myself included) have the opportunity to work toward their graduate degree while remaining employed full-time. As a part-timer, you also get to have classes with first-years, second-years, and other part-timers as well, so I’ve really enjoyed having such a large MHRM family!