What is a cohort?

A quick search on the internet reveals that it is a group of people who have something in common. Being in the MHRM program for only three months, I emphatically declare that this is a pale definition of my experiences.

About a month ago, one of my classmates included me in the group text that is shared by most everyone in the class. I am still grateful to her for inviting me to participate in it. It is primarily used as a social network for us to contact each other and ask questions. Lately, we have received many texts regarding an onslaught of birthday wishes to classmates. Each birthday wish submitted becomes more and more amusing. This also supports my earlier claim that there is definitely a culture of support and encouragement within our class. It is truly wonderful to be immersed in that enthusiasm.

Recently I posted a text stating that I am thankful to be a part of such an amazing group. There are certain people that I absolutely love listening to, when they present, because I learn so much.   also find it fascinating to observe the improvements that many of my classmates have made with respect to their presentation style. Coming from a performance background (in music), I feel comfortable presenting. The difficulty for me lies in translating a performance ability into a presentation ability. The distinction is important and I have slowly been working on adjusting it. I have not been entirely successful, but I will get there! The classroom is a superb proofing ground for the business world. It is meant as a place to refine skills, if you allow it to be. I am not the best presenter, but I acknowledge the feedback from my peers, teachers, and experiences to be better. Ultimately, my cohort is there to help make me better and has always supported me in my development.

Finally, the cohort structure provides access to a wealth of experiences on which to learn and share. Recently, I asked one of my peers, who hosted a conference, to help me with a proposal that I have to spearhead a conference with my company. His input was well received and extremely helpful.  My classmates will become my professional colleagues after we graduate, so it is crucial to also develop your professional network through interactions with your peers. Take the time to get to know your cohort!

One thought on “What is a cohort?”

1. Oh! Music performance! Another way I can work on my presentation. Good point. After all these presentations, I almost lost my passion. Now they are lighted. Thank you~