New Year, New School, New City

August 25th, 2015 a.k.a the first day of class here at Ohio State. The day I had been awaiting for quite some time. After months of researching programs, filling out applications, visiting campuses, and constantly weighing out the pros and cons of where to attend graduate school, I had finally made my decision to be a Buckeye.

brutusI grew up in Naperville, IL, a suburb of Chicago with almost 150,000 people. My high school had over 3,000 people, so needless to say I was used to living in a bigger city with lots of people around. I then made the decision to attend Wittenberg University in Springfield, OH for my undergraduate degrees in accounting and finance. Springfield has only about 60,000 people and Wittenberg has an enrollment of just under 2,000 students. Clearly, this was quite a significant change in surroundings for me, but it turned out to be some of the best 4 years of my life.

Majoring in accounting, I knew early on that I would be attending graduate school to obtain my 150 hours to sit for the CPA exam. Quickly the time came where I actually had to start deciding where to attend. After some research and talking to previous alumni, I knew the MAcc program at Fisher was a strong contender, and after visiting the campus, it became even more clear that Ohio State would be an absolutely fantastic choice.

I finally clicked “accept” on my admissions offer to attend Ohio State 7 months ago, moved to Columbus 3 months ago for a summer internship, and now here I am sitting in beautiful Gerlach Hall in the Fisher College of Business. The start of this program happened so quickly and 2 weeks of classes have already gone by at the blink of an eye. Knowing this program will be over before I know it, my goal is to meet as many professors and students as I can as well as explore the countless opportunities here at Ohio State and Columbus in general. This year, I will be writing about many of these topics as I continue to meet all the thousands of wonderful people here and experience some of the seemingly infinite opportunities in this city and school that are completely new to me.

fisher college of business

Overhead view of the Fisher College of Business