My First Day at Fisher

fisher hall

I am a first year full time MHRM student. As an international student from China, I experienced a lot of “first times” at the Fisher College of Business. I still remembered the day when I first saw our college: I stood opposite the street and looked at Fisher Hall. It was hard to describe my feeling. Everything was just like a dream as it was 2 months ago. I was in China celebrating my graduation with classmates, but now I am standing in front of a world-top business school! I was also excited because I knew that I would pursue my dreams here.

During orientation, I had a chance to take a close look at the college. In Chinese, we have an expression called “Gao Da Shang,” which means “marvelous, gorgeous, splendid and posh.” I think nothing is more suitable than this word to describe my impression of Fisher. Led by second-year students, I visited our school. I found the atmosphere here is a prefect mixture of business and academy. I love this atmosphere.

20150821_100709_副本

The last thing I want to mention is the clothing code at Fisher. We are required to wear business causal on the first day of our orientation. Chinese students (including business school students) do not usually wear business suits in the university, so “business casual” is not a familiar word to us. Therefore, my Chinese classmates and I spent a lot of time the day before the orientation discussing what to wear the next day. I have to say, it was the first time I wore a business suit. The influence was amazing: suddenly I felt I am not a student but a professional business woman.

I know some Chinese students might meet difficulty in adapting to American life. They may become homesick or even upset. Here is my advice: be open to new experiences and challenges, and enjoy your new life.