Fisher Board Fellows – Bridges to the Boardroom

Last April I attended Fisher’s Red Carpet Event, which was a great way to meet some of my future classmates and professors and to learn more about the program. I learned about Fisher Board Fellows for the first time at that event, and knew instantly that it was something I wanted to be a part of.  Fisher Board Fellows is a student-run organization that places MBA students on the boards of non-profit organizations in Columbus.

First year students go through an application and interview process, and those that are selected as fellows are invited to attend events throughout the year that help inform and prepare them to sit on a non-profit board the following year. During their second year, fellows attend board meetings (and sometimes committee meetings) and work on a project that adds value to their non-profit organization.  The project varies based on the non-profit and its needs, as well as the fellow’s major and skill set.

This Monday, several first year fellows had a Bridges to the Boardroom luncheon with Mr. Tony Wells, President of the Tony R. Wells Foundation.  The foundation focuses on developing stronger non-profit leaders and is very involved in social innovations and entrepreneurship for non-profits.  Mr. Wells was passionate about the work his foundation does and told us about the many ways it helps other non-profits grow and develop.  He had wonderful advice, and he spoke about how non-profit work and volunteerism had impacted and helped his career.  He told us to really get to know our boards and the organizations we’re serving, and to learn as much as we can through mentors and committees.

Mr. Wells’ advice was extremely helpful for us.  None of us have ever sat on a non-profit board before, and although there’s a lot of excitement, there’s also some nervousness.  I definitely think we all walked away from that lunch feeling more prepared and with a better idea of what next year will be like.  And I have to tell you, I cannot wait to see what the next year brings!