Hit the Ground Running with Fisher’s MHRM Program

For a stay-at-home mom, the prospect of going to grad school and immediately beginning to network with established business professionals was overwhelming, to say the least. 

Jill Westerfeld of the Office of Career Management made the transition from stay-at-home mom to graduate student incredibly smooth. She is available to help you perfect your resume, elevator pitch, and will even hold mock interviews with you.
While the balance of home and school life on top of attending networking events seemed ominous at first, the best approach is to take it one day at a time. I personally invested in a planner so I could write things down. Logging events into my phone has proven to be an unsuccessful approach for me but works great for others. Look through your planner or phone calendar every night and plan out what you need to do. Set aside time to study and network while still balancing your home and/or social life. For me, being able to see what I needed to do on paper was significantly less overwhelming than letting things just float around in my brain. This allowed me to adequately plan to get a babysitter for networking events while still having plenty of time to play with my son during the day and get some studying done at night.
The Fisher College of Business and the Office of Career Management do a great job making you feel relaxed about the tasks at hand while still maintaining a sense of urgency about getting an internship. As a very new student, I have found everything to be incredibly doable and your classmates and the second year students are available to help as well.
I have found my connection with recent graduates from the program and second year students to be invaluable. Not only can they offer pep-talks when you feel overwhelmed, their advice about the program paired with Jill Westerfeld’s efforts have made it so I’ve hit the ground running in this program. I can’t wait to see what more this program has to offer.