Looking Back On My Time At Fisher

Where have the past two years gone? I still remember sitting through orientation at the Blackwell and listening to various administrators and faculty members telling students that their time in the MBA program would fly by. I remember even more vividly thinking to myself that they were full of it.

A few weeks later, during my stats, finance, and accounting classes, I recall thinking that the program might never end.

Now, two years later, I realize that they were absolutely correct. The full-time MBA program flew by.

As a recent graduate of the MBA program at Fisher I’d like use my last blog post as an opportunity to reflect back on my experiences here as a student. Here’s a glimpse into what I have loved and enjoyed about being a Buckeye MBA.

1. Friendships – Some people refer to this as “networking” – another lame business buzzword. It’s almost as ridiculous as leverage and core competencies. Real “networking” is being a good human, looking out for others, and making friendships that last a lifetime. If those friendships help you in your career progression, great! If not, you’ve made a great friend with whom you can share your joys and sorrows as you go through life. The friendships that I have made with many of my classmates are real, authentic, and don’t include a bogus 60 second elevator pitch. I look forward to staying in touch with my classmates over the years. I feel indebted to them because they have helped me grow and become a better person.
  2. Development – During my time at Fisher I have had the chance to learn and grow in so many ways. Classes, case studies, interviews, guest speakers, job offer negotiations, and many other aspects of business school have given me a greater understanding of myself and what I can become. Business school is a grind which seems to break you down the first year and build you back up the second. The process is incredibly challenging but worth every minute, even when you are awake at 2:45 in the morning studying for a final.
  3. Community – This is what the Fisher College of Business is all about. When I was analyzing business schools to attend I spoke with many different people from Fisher. I talked to alumni, admissions staff, current students, and associate deans. All of them kept mentioning the word community throughout our conversations. Now I know what they mean. Fisher isn’t just a place to attend school and gain a piece of paper. There are plenty of places to do that. Fisher is a community of diverse individuals all striving for excellence. Not only is everyone welcome within the community but others help and encourage everyone to succeed. Successes are celebrated and accomplishments recognized. Students help one another succeed by working together to prepare for exams, negotiate job offers, analyze career opportunities, etc. Professors and administrators offer their wealth of knowledge and experience to students and alumni.

To summarize, Fisher has been an incredible experience and I am grateful I decided to attend school at The Ohio State University. Good people. Great education. Incredible community. I’ll never forget my time at Fisher! It’s been life changing!