MHRM Career Foundation Seminar

By now, recruiting season is in full swing. Last week was the Fisher Fall Career Fair open to all Fisher students and featuring over two hundred employers. This week is the more intimate graduate student recruiting event, where graduate students from all of our programs can have the opportunity to meet employers who are specifically seeking master’s level students. I am fortunate to have received a full time offer from the company with which I interned so I am skipping the recruiting mayhem this year. But, let me take you back a couple weeks to tell you a bit about what we’ve done for our first year MHRMs to get them prepared for the busy fall season.

As the MHRM class of 2014 rolled back in to Columbus after our various summer internships, we were beyond excited to get to know the incoming first year class. With a full year behind us, we didn’t want to waste any time sharing all we had learned in our first year with our new classmates. I had the opportunity to participate in the 2013 MHRM Career Foundation Seminar on the panel of peers.

The Career Foundation Seminar was hosted by the Office of Career Management with the purpose of exposing the incoming class to careers in human resources. The afternoon consisted of an opening from one of our Fisher professors, a keynote address by Brian Boukalik, Director of Human Resources, North American Truck Division at Eaton Corporation. Brian spoke about the path many HR professionals take in their careers today (hint: there is no one set path). The panel of peers followed Brian’s talk and a panel of professionals- including folks from Batelle, Eaton, Rolls Royce, and Marathon- followed us. Audra Fry wrapped up the day with some tips on competitive interview preparation.

Our panel was composed of four current second year MHRM students who spoke on behalf of our class to the incoming MHRM students. I was thrilled to sit on the panel with my fellow second years, as that portion of the day was easily one of the most fun and helpful parts of the day when I attended last year. We shared our experiences regarding preparation for the internship search, recruiting, and our unique experiences at our internships this past summer. Questions from the first years ranged from what to expect, what organizations are looking for in the interview process, how we applied our classroom knowledge to our internship work, and much more.

I loved having the opportunity to share my experiences with the first years, and I know they appreciated the chance to hear directly from us. We’ve continued to strengthen the connection between the 2014 and 2015 classes throughout our first full week through quick chats in halls, the initial MHRM council meeting, and of course our weekly outing at the bar across the street- The Thirsty Scholar. Everyone I’ve met so far has been wonderful, and I know we’ve got an exciting year ahead of us.