MAcc Electives – Business of College Sports

One of the aspects of the MAcc program at OSU that really attracted me was the fact that the curriculum is made up of not only excellent accounting classes, but also a variety of electives in different areas of business. Having come into the program with my undergraduate major in accounting has allowed me to branch out and explore some additional areas of business that are of specific interest to me. I’ve always been a fan of Ohio State athletics, so one of my most interesting electives this semester is “The Business of College Sports” taught by Sheila and Gene Smith (Athletic Director for Ohio State!). Their experience and perspective into the business aspect of college sports, particularly here at Ohio State, is eye-opening and truly one of a kind.

Today our class had the opportunity to tour the Woody Hayes Athletic facility. This complex is where the football team’s main weight lifting room, team meeting rooms, and coaches offices are located. In addition, there is an indoor practice field for various sports teams to use during times when the weather isn’t cooperating.

Photo Courtesy of OhioStateBuckeyes.com

Taking this class has made me consider just how similar athletics and business really are. Just like a business, Ohio State must make investments in facilities and programs that will pay the best returns in helping their athletes achieve their goals. The administration must make decisions to innovate and stay at the “cutting-edge” of the college sports arms race, while at the same time staying true to the traditions , values, and core mission of Ohio State. There are countless other comparisons such as game day logistics, talent utilization and recruitment, and performance evaluation that we have talked about in class. When you stop to think about how much effort goes on behind the scenes of the athletic programs to help make the Buckeyes as successful as possible, it is simply astounding!

Classes like this are one of the reasons that I am so glad that I chose the MAcc program at Fisher. When I graduate I will not only have a greater working knowledge of my field, but also a more extensive knowledge and greater appreciation of the role business plays in many other areas!

To learn more about other MAcc electives and the program curriculum click here . If you have any other questions about this, or any of the other classes in the MAcc program, feel free to comment on this post and I would be happy to get back to you the best I can!