Library Sunday!

In last week’s post I described a few sites to visit off-campus, so today I thought I would share a little about one of my favorite sites on-campus: Thompson Library! (aka-The Main Library).

This gem is located right at the heart of campus, just a five to ten minute walk from Gerlach Hall. One of the most iconic buildings at Ohio State, Thompson offers an array of services. First and foremost of course is the extensive archive.

You can find books surrounding just about every topic here. You can even conduct an online search at the Ohio State Library website, and have the book you want pulled from the shelves and waiting at the front desk for you when you arrive. What’s more, if by chance Thompson Library doesn’t have the book you are looking for, you can request to have the piece sent over from another library on-campus or from libraries all across the state, sometimes even nationally.

That’s not all, here are a few more terrific amenities provided in the Library:

• Buckeye Bar: Having a problem with your laptop? Come see the experts at Buckeye Bar for an in-person technology help session.

• Berry Cafe: Feeling a little hungry? Head over to Berry Cafe to enjoy a delicious deli sandwich, healthy fruit and yogurt treat, or sweet coffee pick-me-up.
  • Gallery Exhibits: Need a study break? The galleries are, in my opinion, one of the most unique aspects of the library. I always feel like I’m traveling back in time when I visit them.

And last but not least, what most students come to the library to do-Study! Here’s a typical Sunday in the Grand Reading Room…Remember to be quiet, shhh…

If you’re interested in taking in a view while you crack the books, head up to the 11th floor for a breath-taking scene of campus…

And finally one of the more unexpected, but delightfully pleasant parts of visiting Thompson-the possibility of meeting someone new. Students from all over campus come to study at Thompson. Just today I had the honor of meeting 2 wonderful students in the MHRM program, right here at Fisher, who I probably wouldn’t have met if I hadn’t been awkwardly reaching over them to take a picture out the window. The campus might be large, and the student body very diverse, but it’s always a nice surprise to meet a new Buckeye.