Cultural Education At Fisher

Coming to business school in Columbus, OH, one would think that the opportunities to learn about global business cultures would be limited. This is what I thought last August as I prepared to begin my time here at Fisher. I was wrong.

I have been given so many opportunities to learn about various cultures and emerging markets during my first year of business school. The faculty and administration here at Fisher frequently comment on the fact that the business world is becoming more and more flat. That is, the world of business is global, not just regional or national.

The last few weeks, I have been able to attend student-ran lectures and activities centered around international culture in business. Two weeks ago I was able to learn more about Nigeria from two native students. They spoke of their currency, legal system, regulations, work/life balance, as well as recreational and family activities. For someone who has never been to Nigeria, it was a great learning opportunity.

Fisher College of Business MBA

Similar to the Nigerian culture snapshot, I was able to learn about Peru. Peru seemed a little more fascinating to me because I speak Spanish fluently. The presentation peaked my interest and seemed like a great opportunity for businesses looking to expand into emerging markets. I’ll admit, the idea of a siesta seemed a little inefficient, however, it does seem to unite families and communities.

The International Business Club has also held a number of Indian celebrations that I have been able to attend. Last week, Fisher hosted the annual UTSAV celebration. Fisher students, faculty, and families gathered for an Indian fashion show and dance outside of Fisher Hall.

Ohio State MBA

For more picture of Fisher’s UTSAV celebration, visit our Flickr page.