Breakfast With Dean Poon

How many full-time MBA students across the world ever have the opportunity to sit down and have breakfast with the dean of their business school? My guess is not many. Lucky for me, I was able to enjoy breakfast last week with Dean Poon and a handful of other full-time MBA students here at Fisher.

One of the benefits of attending an intimate program like Fisher is that students have great access to many faculty and school administrators.  Last week was no different. Dean Poon arranged her schedule so that she could have breakfast with 10 MBAs and talk about their lives and their experiences here at Ohio State.

When we arrived to the Dean’s conference room in Fisher Hall there was a nice breakfast put together for the students. I grabbed a bagel and some juice and started chatting with a few of my classmates as we awaited the arrival of Dean Poon. We were all excited to speak with her in a close setting and provide feedback and thoughts regarding our time in and out of the classrooms.

When Dean Poon arrived (right on time) she immediately radiated a kind and friendly personality. She grabbed a cup of coffee and sat at the table while she was still asking each student what they did for Spring Break. She then asked about summer plans and internships and offered her advice regarding those important summer months. I was very pleased and grateful for her kindness and sincerity. She really did care about the students in the room at that time and made it very apparent that she was invested in our future and the future of the Fisher College of Business.

Not only did Dean Poon provide us with advice and insight as to how we should navigate our time as interns, but she also petitioned us for feedback regarding the program. We were able to talk with her about orientation, international learning opportunities, career management, course structure, and any other topic of school that came to mind. She genuinely listened to our feedback and engaged with all of us in that room regarding possible changes.

I walked away from that hour meeting with Dean Poon feeling encouraged and grateful for the chance to be a Buckeye. Most deans at business schools would not see meeting with students as one of their top priorities, however, I feel that Dean Poon is different. She cares about the student experience and the value that Fisher provides to all students, regardless of program. My breakfast meeting with her is just another reason that I am loving my time here at the Fisher College of Business.