My Interview with Amanda Rose

Over the last few months, I have shared many blogs about me and my life.  I thought it would be interesting to learn about a couple of other students’ lives, their perspectives on the program and their journeys from undergraduate to graduate school. I interviewed Amanda Rose, a first year MHRM student.

Name: Amanda Rose

Hometown: Green, OH

Undergraduate Institution: University of Mount Union

Major: Business Administration

Undergraduate extracurricular activities: Basketball, Alpha Delta Pi Sorority, Student Athletic Advisory Committee

Work Experience: HR Intern-Fannie May Confections, HR Intern-University of Mount Union, University Relations Intern-The Timken Company, Graduate Assistant – Office of Career Management Fisher College of Business

What lead you to your decision to go to graduate school? I didn’t want to attend graduate school directly after undergrad because I had a great internship that could lead to a full time job and was really excited to begin my career. I knew eventually I would want to go back to school so I started doing some research and planning to take the GMAT. While doing that, I learned about the MHRM program at Ohio State and couldn’t wait to find out more. Once I visited Fisher, learned about the types of courses offered in this program and the career opportunities I could pursue because of it, I knew this would be great for me both personally and professionally. I was also lucky enough to be offered a Graduate Assistantship that would allow me to work part-time while financing my tuition. After that, my choice was very easy and I know that I made the right decision.

Why did you ultimately choose the MHRM program at OSU? This was the only program I applied to, but I was drawn to it because the HR program was housed in the business school, which isn’t always typical for every HR master’s program – not to mention it is such a highly ranked HR program and business school.

What is one thing that you like most about the MHRM program? I like how much of an interest all of my classmates take in each other. All the students in my program were top students in their undergraduate institutions and everyone wants to be just as successful here. We also have many employers coming to recruit us so we are all interviewing for the same positions at the same time. This type of environment could foster a lot of competition among us, but instead everyone really wants to see each other succeed. We are all more than willing to help out if someone is having trouble in a class and we are each other’s biggest cheerleaders when it comes to interviewing and receiving job offers. (The biggest competition in our program has been filling out the NCAA bracket!)

What is one thing that you like least about the MHRM program? Taking night classes. I never had to take night classes in undergrad and it has really been an adjustment for me. By the end of the day, it is sometimes hard to get motivated for a 3 hour class 3 nights a week.

What is the most difficult aspect of being a graduate student? The most difficult aspect of being a graduate student was learning when to relax a little bit and allowing myself to take a break from school and work.  There is always going to be reading to get done and projects to be completed but it is important to remember you need to take time for yourself – and that’s OK! I had to learn that I would get all of my work done and still do well in class even when I allowed myself to take a break sometimes.

What is something that you wish you were told when they had visited/started grad school at OSU? It is great to get to know and become friends with your program but also take time to get to know other graduate students outside of it too. Many students in my cohort are very similar so it is nice to branch out and always fun to meet more people with different interests.

Do MHRM students spend time together out of class?  Yes, many of us spend a lot time together outside of class going to lunch/dinners, movies, concerts, and even to Skyzone (an indoor trampoline park)!  Two of my closest friends are girls I’ve met since starting this program and we are always together. We just went to California together for spring break! Its great spend time with each other to have fun and learn more about each other outside of a professional/classroom setting. It makes spending 3 hours together every night in class much more enjoyable.

What are some of your hobbies and interests? Have you found a place to pursue those at OSU? I really love sports and obviously at Ohio State there are many opportunities to pursue that interest. I went to many football games and pre-game tailgates with Fisher friends, have had many “watch parties” for basketball games, attended my first ever hockey game and even played intramural flag football and basketball with other Fisher grad students.

Do the students have enough time for a social life? Students definitely have enough time for a social life. It is an adjustment from undergrad and it is important to prioritize your schoolwork but if you use time-management skills you can always make time for friends and fun. My friends and I have a tradition of heading over to The Thirsty Scholar after Thursday night classes as a way to unwind from the busy week.

What do you typically do for fun? I really just enjoy spending time with my friends so anything we do together is fun for me! We like to do many different things and always try to plan at least one fun activity for the weekend that’s different and can get our minds away from school and work. During the fall, we spent a lot of time experiencing Ohio State by going to happy hours, different local restaurants, and of course as many football games as possible. We celebrate each other’s birthday’s together and even have theme parties together too. But I also just enjoy “girls’ nights in” attempting to bake cookies, watching movies, and talking about anything and everything!

Do graduate students have access to athletic and other university facilities and events? Graduate students  have access to athletic facilities, libraries, and on campus computer labs. Here at Fisher, graduate students have their own computer lab, study lounge, and break out rooms that are great for study groups and projects. I am able to use any athletic facility on campus and participate in any intramural sport too.

Do you participate in any student organizations? I am currently in the MHRM Council and will be the MHRM program delegate in the Council of Graduate Students (graduate student government) next year.

What are your plans for the summer? This summer I will be interning with Shell Oil Company in Houston Texas in the HR department.

What do you hope to do after you complete your MHRM degree? I am excited for all of the opportunities available to me by graduating with my MHRM degree from Ohio State and don’t have a specific route in HR I want to take yet. I hope to learn more about what interests me this summer and during next year but I am very open to all the possibilities I can have in a career after graduating from Fisher.