My Interview with Yuqing Zhang

Over the last few months, I have shared info about me and my life.  I thought it would be interesting to learn about a couple of other students’ lives, their perspective on the program and their journey from undergraduate to graduate school. Fisher first year MHRM student, Yuqing Zhang, gave me some very unique answers to my interview questions. Read on to hear her perspective on the US, Ohio State and her journey from undergraduate to graduate school.

Chinese New Year

Name: Yuqing Zhang

Hometown: Guangxi, China

Undergraduate Institution: Renmin University of China

Major: Human Resource and Management

Undergraduate extracurricular activities: School’s badminton club leader, class monitor, vice president of sports unit in school’s student union

Work Experience: Several internships

What lead you to your decision to go to graduate school? I was curious what it would be like to study in the US.

Why did you ultimately choose the MHRM program at OSU? I expected a career in HR area, either in academic research or in industry. And Fisher is the best choice either way.

What is one thing that you like most about the MHRM program? That the program provides so many resources helping with both learning and career development.

What is one thing that you like least about the MHRM program? Well, I guess international students need more exposure to internship/employment opportunities.

About how many hours per week do you spend on schoolwork in and out of class? In class: 12h, out of class: 15h.

What is the most difficult aspect of being a graduate student? You really need to take more initiatives and consider more about career development.

Did anything regarding MHRM program/OSU/Columbus surprise you? That the people here are so nice and provide host and all kinds of events to engage us into the community.

Do MHRM students spend time together out of class? Yes, a lot.

Do you interact with students from different Master’s programs? Yes, my roommate is in the Fisher MBLE program, and there’s a lot of classes and events in which I can connect to MBA and MAcc students.

What are some of your hobbies and interests? Have you found a place to pursue those at OSU? Yes! I love badminton and volleyball. There’s an official badminton club and an unofficial volleyball club in which everyone could engage. I can also enjoy myself in the wonderful recreation center at OSU.

Do the students have enough time for a social life? Yes. I would say that schoolwork is important but not all for graduate students, social life may actually help more with the career development.

What do you typically do for fun? Work out and have parties.

Do you participate in any student organizations? MHRM Council. I really appreciate the so many various student organizations at Fisher and OSU, which would really provide many valuable opportunities for social and professional development.

What are your plans for the summer? Internship, though I’m still working on getting one :)

What do you hope to do after you complete your MHRM degree? To take advantage of the Optional Practical Training program and gain more hands-on experience here in the US.