Fisher Serves – Working at the Animal Shelter

Fisher Serves is a student organization at the Fisher College of Business that reaches out to the community by providing service at non-profit organizations. All students from the various programs within the college are able to participate in this organization that gives back to the Columbus, OH community.

For the Fisher Serves day of service, I was asked to help at one of the local animal shelters here in Columbus. I was excited to attend but was given a simple disclosure from my wife that I was not to bring home any animals. Lucky for her, I didn’t.

When the group got to the shelter we were given a list of assignments that needed to be completed. The staff at the shelter was very friendly and made our day of service fun and enjoyable. Here is a brief list of some of the activities that the MBAs were able to help with while volunteering at the animal shelter:

• Walking Dogs
  • Dog Obedience Training
  • Cleaning Kennels
  • Playing With Kittens
  • Washing Dog Dishes
  • Preparing Dog Treats

The day was full of fun and although it sounds like a lot of fun and easy activities, I was surprised at how tired I was after being on my feet for the whole afternoon.

I am happy to say that all of the MBAs left without an injury or wound. Even more importantly, we all left feeling a sense of gratitude for the opportunities that we have in life to reach out and serve others. I am grateful for the Fisher Serves organization and I truly feel that it helps mold more balanced MBAs during their time at Fisher.