Breakfast with Dean Poon, Lunch with CFOs

A couple of weeks ago, a few classmates and I had the pleasure of sitting down to breakfast and a chat with Dean Christine Poon.  It was a great chance for us to provide feedback on the MAcc program so far this year.  Among the topics discussed were first session courses, interviews for full-time positions, academic and applied speakers, and many others.  I was happy to hear that many of my classmates had made it through the interview process and were actually juggling multiple offers for jobs starting next fall.  We also spoke about the transition from quarters or traditional semesters to the 7-week terms that are now followed by Fisher graduate programs.  The verdict seemed to be that although we now face a vigorous pace in classes, we’re able to take advantage of so many electives, ranging from Finance to HR to Operations – and even some outside of the business school.

Not a bad way to start a morning in the MAcc!

Overall, I was very pleased with our discussion and was happy that Dean Poon took the time to meet with us!

Last Friday, a handful of students from Fisher’s MBA, MAcc, and SMF programs had the unique opportunity to sit down for lunch with CFOs from Fortune 500 companies throughout Ohio.  I had the pleasure of dining with Jeffrey Weeden, CFO of KeyCorp, and Ron Lovell, VP of IBM’s Client Center for Advanced Analytics.  Both business leaders had some interesting insights on the demand for highly complex business analytics that will change the pace of financial decision making for large public companies.  They also commented on the approaching fiscal cliff, Dodd-Frank requirements for financial institutions like KeyCorp, and other hot topics in Jeff’s industry.

It’s opportunities like these that remind me why I chose Fisher.  Whether a current or future grad student, I highly recommend taking advantage of these opportunities to network with fellow classmates, academic leaders, and members of C-Suites around the country.  Events like these serve as great compliments to courses within Fisher, so take advantage!