Columbus gives back

Columbus is a unique city full of great restaurants, of course a large academic community, sports teams, you name it. But this city is also full of service and giving back to the community in pretty extreme ways. Today was a special day for service: The Nationwide Children’s Hospital Columbus Marathon. This event consisted of either a half (13.1 miles) or full marathon (26.2 miles) and included a total of around 18,000 participants! Proceeds for the marathon went directly to the Children’s Hospital mentioned previously and each mile marker of the course shared stories of terminally ill children struggling to fight their disease. There were opportunities to not only run the race, but to volunteer, cheer on the runners, watch, or simply give to the cause. I had several friends run the half and full marathon today and were able to aide the cause. I think I will attempt to train and participate next year!

This the course map for the Columbus Marathon

Another huge, annual event that I was able to participate in this past summer is Pelotonia. In this event, participants bike a designated number of miles with a team or peloton through Columbus and the city outskirts in the fight to end cancer. The bike routes had several mile categories to accommodate all types of riders-I did 25 miles to start out for The Ohio State University team. 100% of all donations and funds raised go to The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center for cancer research. This event was by far one of the most amazing service events I have ever completed and I hope to be a part of this cause going forward. The event was in August this past year, with donations and fundraising ending this month. The check presentation ceremony in which the final monetary value raised is scheduled for November 5th. Last year they raised around $12 million and I am confident this will be beat this year.  Watch this video to learn more about the cause and join the fight to end cancer. Until next time guys!