The Night I Didn’t Study: Zac Brown Band Live

Over the last month, my full-time MBA classmates and I have been adjusting to the pace of life around Fisher.  Between all the great learning opportunities, group discussions, case competitions, readings, and exams, there isn’t a ton of time for lazing around.  That said, it’s crucial to carve out some time for ourselves, remembering that there’s more to life than positioning statements and financial reports. Last Friday night, I did just that—I took my wife to the Zac Brown Band concert at Crew Stadium.

Living in larger city like Columbus has its perks, and one of them is that some of the best musicians usually stop here on their tours across the country.  It’d been a while since I’d been to a show, and I had forgotten what an incredible escape it can be to see a great band perform.

The crisp, autumn, Ohio air was laced with nostalgia, reminiscent of high school football games and the laughter of old friends.  There was just enough chill in the air to be grateful for the surrounding crowd, talking over the warm din of a thousand conversations.  Furthermore, the band was incredible.  As a (novice) musician myself, there is no way to overstate how truly amazing these guys are, not only at writing authentic, powerful, infectious southern rock, but also at putting on a performance that engages each person distinctly and completely.  A truly great performer addresses each individual in the crowd and invites them on a powerful, meaningful journey—one in which they feel integral.  Zac Brown and his bandmates did this deftly and effortlessly, and as the music rumbled on, over the undulating crowd and out over the Ohio plains, I found myself smiling.

So far, the semester has been extremely stimulating and engaging, and I have never learned so much so quickly.  I’m grateful to my professors and colleagues for teaching me new and exciting concepts in a way I can remember.  But I’m also grateful to the Zac Brown Band for the chance to forget, if only for an evening.