Change

4 undergraduate years + part of a 5th undergraduate year + one full MBA year = 18 quarters.

I have completed 18 quarters at Ohio State.  So, it should come as no surprise that the change to semesters part way through my second year in the WPMBA program has made me a little nervous.  With one summer term and almost one autumn term under my belt, I thought I’d share some of my initial thoughts on the change thus far:

What I Like So Far:

• One class per night:  I know some of my fellow classmates don’t like this format, but I do.  I only have to think about one subject per night, which makes attending class after a long work day more manageable
  • Earlier evenings!  The difference between 9:15 and 9:48 may not seem like much, but trust me, it is!  That extra half hour is enough time to wind down before it’s time to hit the hay – or grab a beer at VC
  • More classes:  Because electives are split into 7 week terms instead of 10 week quarters, you get to take more classes in different subjects of your interest

What Will Take Some Getting Used To:

• Longer class time:  Some professors are having a bit of a hard time adjusting to semesters – many of whom have taught in quarters for their entire academic career.  A three+ hour class is a lot of time to keep the class engaged, but I think this will improve over time
  • Syllabus restructuring: This is by far the biggest challenge.  Both of my classes this term are back-half heavy, meaning that I had very little I could work on in the first four weeks of the term.  Now, in the last three weeks, EVERYTHING is due.  I will need to plan for this in upcoming terms!

The transition to semesters was the right thing for the university – change is inevitable and it’s time we got on the same page as the rest of the country.  Ohio State and Fisher did an admirable job managing the transition – now it’s time for me to get with the change!