Finding time for a little exploration

Well, as you’ve probably surmised from reading nearly every other post on this blog, getting an MBA is time consuming.  To be honest, I have to say that I feel very fortunate for having a business background coming into this program because I can’t imagine what it’d be like having never seen or heard of any of these concepts prior to taking the core classes.  Having graduated from Indiana University’s Kelley School of Business, I have had econ, finance, accounting, marketing, etc. at an undergraduate level.  For those of my classmates that haven’t, and are managing to keep their heads above water, kudos to you!

As an aside, as I compare IU and OSU, I’d have to say IU was a great place to go to undergrad, but OSU is a much better place for grad school.  After the age of 22,  Columbus > Bloomington… sorry to my fellow Hoosiers!  Please don’t disown me.

Anyway, now on to the meat and potatoes of this post.  This won’t be a large serving of either, because I have a lot of work to get to, but I did want to introduce you to two spots I checked out over the weekend.

First, a friend of mine asked my wife and me to meet a small group of people for dinner at a place in Merion Village.  This is an area just south of German Village, and frankly, I hadn’t heard of it (and I grew up in Columbus).  We hopped in the car and headed south on High Street, passing such great options in the Short North then past even more eateries in German Village. We kept going south for a little longer when I almost decided to stop at the White Castle that seemed to be the last beacon of light before High Street became a lot more desolate.  I’m glad I kept going, because we ended up at this amazing little restaurant called The Explorers’ Club.  This is the kind of place that you might see Guy Fieri stop at on a Diners, Drive-ins and Dives episode and  it would make you wish you lived remotely close to it so you could “explore” it for yourself.  Luckily I do live close to this place, because it is amazing. If you go, try the Caribbean Jerk chicken.  You can thank me later.

The next night, my wife and I were meeting my parents for dinner in the Short North.  Prior to our meal, we decided to venture over to the Columbus Microbrew Festival outside the North Market.  This reminded me of a summer street fair in Chicago, which are typically awesome, but this one had a much smaller crowd, which made it that much better.  The beers were delicious, but more importantly, the atmosphere was laid back and fun.  My wife even commented, “It looks like everyone who’s here wants to be here and is genuinely happy to be here.”  We seem to find that a lot here in Columbus… people enjoy themselves and are generally very nice to those around them.

I had a great weekend, despite having to study for an Econ test, read a lot of marketing articles, work on a group project, just to name a few of the tasks on my t0-do list.  As many of the second year MBAs have told us already, it’s all about finding balance and making the most of your time.  While I am still pretty stressed, you probably wouldn’t be able to tell by looking at me on Saturday night: beer in hand, smile on my face and ready to continue to explore!

You could be here too!