Path to JD/MBA

When I was thinking about applying to JD/MBA (dual degree) programs last year, I had three options:

1) Start at Law school, apply for MBA program during year 1 or 2.

2) Start at Business school, apply for JD program during year 1.

3) Apply to both Business school and Law school at the same time.

I chose option 3, as it provided me with a certainty of being admitted to both programs. Studying for LSAT and GMAT together was another reason for choosing option 3. Verbal sections of LSAT and GMAT are similar to each other – so studying for both tests saved me considerable amount of time.

There is no right or wrong way: it just depends on your preference and timing. There are several JD/MBA students at Fisher. Most of them have completed 1-2 years at Moritz, College of Law. I, on the other hand, am spending my first year at Fisher. Completing MBA core classes and a business internship prior to starting 1L is my goal. It will allow a smooth transition into a legal internship and finding a career in business law. Especially, international business law and entrepreneurial law are my top two interests.

If you are contemplating on becoming a JD/MBA, I strongly suggest that you speak to many JD/MBA students. They can share practical tips with you, such as how to juggle application process and keep your sanity; where to find financial aid; what to expect in each program.

Being here at OSU, I know in my heart that I made the right decision. My classmates at Fisher are from all over the world and they are extremely driven. I can only imagine what students at Moritz will be like. It will take a lot of hard work and dedication, but I certainly look forward to starting a career in international business and entrepreneurship in four years.