Being a full-time employee/part-time student

In my undergrad studies, finding time to study wasn’t hard to do. I worked maybe 20 hours a week and the rest of my time was free. Now that I work full-time, I have to schedule time to study. If I didn’t schedule study time, I would have no idea when I would be able to study. I have finally mastered my work/school/study time down-it took the first 3 weeks of class to do so.

I typically give myself a break on Friday and Saturday, then it is back to the grind on Monday. Throughout the week I schedule about 2 1/2- 3 hours a night on studying. Originally I thought I would be able to take three classes a semester, but for now two is plenty.

It is always important, if you are a full-time employee and going back to school part-time, you have to take some time to yourself and your family. The mix of work and school can sometimes make you feel overwhelmed and make your family feel neglected. As long as you can make time for yourself and family, school will be much easier!

-Emily

1 Response to “Being a full-time employee/part-time student”

1. 1 Matt B September 18, 2012 at 10:24 am

Hi Emily,

Great Post – Finding balance is always key. In my last graduate program, I was unable to do so (neglecting personal life). Now I’m committed to finding balance, prioritizing what’s important, and not losing sight of who I am.

Keep up the good work.

-Matt