Heed the Warnings!

During the Pre-Term MBA program, we were exposed to all that Fisher has to offer but we were also inundated with warnings:

Don’t overextend yourself!

Your schedule will get packed very quickly – be careful!

Your classes are intense – don’t let yourself fall behind or you won’t be able to catch up!

Don’t get excited and join too many organizations – you won’t have time!

Don’t forget to sleep!*

(*Okay, that one was from me, but still equally true).

Fisher has so much to offer, so it is too easy to get excited and want to sign up for everything. All events are in one centralized website, the Leadership & Professional Development Events Hub, also known as “The Hub”. (By the way, kudos to the brilliant designers behind the creation of The Hub and associated functionality – you simply log in, scroll through ALL events available and sign up for the ones you’re interested in. You will then receive an email with a calendar file attached for each event – two clicks, and all event details are imported into your calendar!). But those Pre-Term warnings were not exaggerated – you will NOT be able to attend every event you are interested in, simply because there is so much offered (and unfortunately, you only have 24 hours in one day)!

The classes I have this semester are all very interesting and, more importantly, relevant. Everything we learn is applied to real-world cases and situations, and the classes are very interactive – sometimes, it seems like the class is one long conversation with the professor and my classmates! Yes, there is a lot of work involved with class preparation and such, but it is enjoyable (for the most part that is :) – it didn’t seem so fun when I put in my first all-nighter last week!)

I’m also excited about the student organizations I joined. I was interested in so many of them, but I had to force myself to narrow it down to only four: Fisher Professional Services, Innovation Fisher, Fisher Consulting and Strategy Club and Fisher Entrepreneurship Association.

There will be lots more to come on these groups and all the exciting events involved (but in the meantime, check out this great blog post about Fisher Professional Services written by a fellow classmate).

In addition to all the classes and organizations, there are constant networking opportunities and career events (we’ve already had two career fairs!), so my schedule is definitely packed. There is much to take advantage of, but there are only so many hours in the day (and the night!). I have to be careful, or I may have to start scheduling “sleep” into my calendar (that is, if I can still find some empty blocks of time! :))