Team Building Lessons

The thought of meeting so many new people was both daunting and exciting. Hundreds of questions ran through my mind. Did I make the right decision? Have I prepared myself well enough for what’s ahead? How in the world am I going to master 50+ Excel models in just seven weeks??? I am pretty sure I was not the only one feeling this way. As a part of our orientation, we went to Summit Vision out in Westerville, Ohio. There, we participated in various team building activities like the pamper pole and the ropes course.

Some of the lessons I took away from Summit Vision are:

-Take the leap of faith.  Whether it’s in the classroom or in the real world, we will never exactly know what lies ahead. We must take the risk in order to reach our full potential.

-Voice your opinions and listen to others. We have all traveled a different path to get to this point and have gained unique experiences along the way. Collaborating with teammates will lead to better, more efficient solutions.

-A little support goes a long way. We may feel discouraged from time to time. Whether it’s the fear of jumping off a perch thirty feet in the air, or publicly speaking in front of class, knowing that our teammates are rooting for us will give us the extra boost in our confidence level needed to attain our goals.

And the most important lesson of all is to remember to have fun along the way! This is a new and thrilling journey for all and we have world class professors with many years of academic and industry experience to help us become successful. I am ecstatic to be a part of the Fisher Specialized Master in Finance program and look forward to the challenges in the coming year!

Taking deep breaths helps with the shaking atop a 22′ perch.

1 Response to “Team Building Lessons”

1. 1 Emily Blind September 6, 2012 at 2:12 pm

That pamper pole is crazy, but what a great experience! So glad to hear your team was as supportive as mine was – I know I couldn’t have done it without them!!!