New Life, New Challenges

This is the fourth week since I’ve arrived in the U.S. Classes began on August 22 so that I have met all the professors teaching the courses I’m enrolled in. Life is tremendously busy, including for us international students. We had so many orientations, workshops, seminars as well as welcome parties at the beginning of the semester. Class schedule at Ohio State is different from last year since we transferred from quarter to semester. OSU used to have 3 quarters for one academic year. But now it has 2 semesters and each semester is divided into 2 seven week sessions. So, it’s definitely a challenge. However, group projects have made assignments very interesting and efficient. As a new arrival, I would like to give several hints to international students. I hope that they can be helpful for new international students getting accustomed to new surroundings here.

Do you need a pickup and temporary accommodation?

If you don’t know anyone to pick you up when you arrive at Port Columbus airport and need temporary accommodations for a few days before you can move into your apartment, you can contact IFI for help. IFI volunteers are so nice and helpful! My friends and I lived in a volunteer’s house for a few days. The hostess drove us to Chase Bank and AT&T to get our bank account and cell phone numbers set up. We had a good time together and I truly appreciate their kindness and assistance.

Come to U.S. several days earlier before your orientation begins.

Some people suffer from time lag when they travel to another country. I came from China so I had to turn my biological clock 12 hours backward. Luckily I seemed to adjust to the Eastern Standard Time (“EST”) after a goodnight sleep on my first day arrival. You need to open your bank account and get a SIM card for your cell phone. You also prefer to buy furniture for your apartment unless it’s provided already by the apartment complex. Thus it’s a good idea to come to Columbus at least 4 days earlier before orientation begins.

I need to go to campus for another workshop now. I’ll write about academic stuff and other interesting events in the following blogs.

Ohio State football games are on the way. GO BUCKEYES! ! !