Exploring Ohio Stadium

MAcc students enjoying a tour of the stadium and the brand new HD scoreboard

I cannot imagine a better introduction to the Fisher College of Business MAcc program than the one we experienced during our first day of orientation.  At the end of our first day, we made the short walk over to Ohio Stadium (popularly known as “The Horseshoe”) where we were given the opportunity to network with classmates, professors, and recruiters, as well as tour the stadium.

As a lifelong Buckeye fan, I have long adored The Horseshoe and have considered it one of the most fascinating places to visit.  Interestingly enough, this visit to Ohio Stadium was much different than my prior experiences at the stadium.  During my prior visits inside the historic Ohio Stadium, I was watching an Ohio State football game on a Saturday afternoon with 105,000 other screaming fans.  In fact, the boisterous crowd that fills Ohio Stadium during every home football game is a major reason why Yahoo! Sports recently named Ohio Stadium Number 1 on its list of “College Football’s Top 25 Toughest Places to Play”.

The closed end of The Horseshoe

However, the electric atmosphere I grew accustomed to was missing as I saw the suddenly peaceful stadium empty for the first time during our orientation event.  I felt privileged to be one of only 100 people in the stadium at the time, taking in the magnificent views of the bare stadium from field level as well as the press box.   During our tour, we learned a lot about the history and evolution of Ohio Stadium, which was built in 1922.  It is nicknamed “The Horseshoe” because of its once-open south end.  The stadium is now only partially open as permanent seating has been added to the south end over the years.  An interesting fact about The Horseshoe is that it actually provided living quarters for students beginning in 1933.  In fact, the University’s dean at the time noticed that there were many Ohio high school students that could not afford to go to college and, thus, he provided them with affordable housing through the stadium dormitory.  The students’ rent was a meager $1 a month, but in return, they were responsible for completing all the chores throughout the dorm while taking classes at The Ohio State University.

Our tour concluded with a trip to the Press Box

My appreciation for the stadium was greatly enhanced during orientation as I learned more about its history and saw it from a completely new perspective.  With that being said, nothing compares to being in the stadium with 105,000 rowdy fans as the Buckeyes kick off on Saturdays.  I cannot wait to be in the stands with my fellow MAcc students for the first game of the year as the Buckeyes take on Miami University.  After the orientation event, I have a feeling it is going to be a great year, not only for the Buckeyes, but for all of us in the MAcc program.  Go Bucks!