The trust walk…

Delaine (left) and I looking down at the ground before we start the trust walk

In the MAcc program we had a two day orientation. The first day was filled with classroom activities and many networking opportunities to meet our new classmates, professors, and future employers.  On the second day we really got to know each other and began to develop trust in each other.

We went to Summit Vision for team building and high ropes activities. My group did a few team building activities to warm-up then went to our first high ropes challenge. I volunteered to go first with a fellow classmate Delaine Britton. The activity was called the trust walk. We anxiously climbed our rope ladders to meet at a platform. On the platform there were two large logs angled outward (it was a V).  This is where the trust comes in: we joined hands and began to walk out on our own log (of course we were harnessed in for when we fell). Delaine and I worked well together, at one point we had to let go of each other so she could climb around the random obstacle of a pole on her side. I patiently held onto a random rope hanging in the middle of our logs. When we were ready to re-join hands we said on the count of 3 we would let go and join hands in the middle. If we did not catch each other we would both fall! So we said together “1,2,3…” and there was no movement from either of us. We laughed about it for a few minutes then decided we are going to trust each other and tried it again. So on the count of 3 we let go and caught each other!! We continued trusting each other as we walked a few more steps and eventually fell before reaching the end of the log. From this I learned we both have to trust each other in order for the trust walk to work or else one of us would have fallen …

Stay tuned for more blog posts as I continue my journey through graduate school at Ohio State!

1 Response to “The trust walk…”

1. 1 Steven Rustberg August 28, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Jeez, that looks really dangerous! I really like adventure with heights and had the same experience here in Sweden, although yours looks a bit more professional than ours at home :D