How the Fisher MBA Won Me Over

When I was researching schools for my MBA degree, I had a very long list of reasons why Fisher was in my “top schools” list. A simple Google search will produce a plethora of rankings telling you (deservedly so) that the Fisher MBA is one of the best programs in the country. If you’re like me, a detailed search will have you writing a list of why you want to attend Fisher. Some of the things from my list were:

1. The small class size means you’re a person, not a statistic.
  2. Emphasis on real-world experience (leadership and development, corporate mentorship team-building, etc) means they’re training you for your future career, not just disseminating information.
  3. Customizing major/curriculum means that whatever your background or your career goals, you will be able to customize your major to suit YOUR unique future – there is no one-size-fits-all here!

I could go on and on (and ON!) but you can find all this out for yourself. Because in two weeks of the Pre-Term MBA program and a few days of classes, I already have another long list of reasons, and I could not be more grateful that I chose the Fisher College of Business as my new home for the next two years. I’m not going to share them all here (the list is FAR too long!) but here are a few reasons :

1. Joining Fisher is like joining a family. From the moment I first made contact, I realized this is a Graduate Programs Office like no other. From application to admissions to start of classes, I was welcomed and assisted by the NICEST people I have ever met! No matter how small my question or concern was, everyone went above and beyond to help. Thanks to all of them, I already feel like I’m at “home” here!
  2. Three words: Intake Interview. Interview, you say? But I haven’t even started classes – why am I interviewing for a job?!  That’s the key here – we start applying for internships in the Fall, and we need to update our resumes, practice our interviewing skills, set career goals and put together a plan for how we will achieve those goals. That’s not easy to do, which is why we were assigned to a career consultant, who will guide us along every step of the way. And it all begins with that Intake Interview, where my interviewing skills were tested and graded (yikes!).
  3. Diversity! That word gets thrown around a lot, but it is truly implemented here. My peers come from extremely diverse backgrounds – ethnic, cultural, education and even work-experience. The opportunities to learn from your peers are plentiful, and I am taking full advantage!
  4.  Career guidance/exposure events. I came into the program knowing exactly what I wanted to do after graduation –the industry, the company and the exact job description. I chuckled to myself when we were told during Pre-Term that we would likely change our minds before graduation: I knew what I was doing, even if everybody else did not. I went to a Career Foundation Event out of curiosity during my first week here, and I’ve realized that I was looking at my future from the limited scope of my past experiences, and my time here at Fisher is broadening that scope daily. While my career goals have not changed, I am now open to changing the way I go about it, simply because I have much to learn!

I could spend all day writing about the multitude of other reasons I love this program, but the bottom line is – no matter how much you know (or think you know!), Fisher will open your eyes to a whole new world of possibilities. I was prepared to learn much in my time here, but I had no idea just how much my horizons would be broadened. I am not a sheltered individual by any means: I have lived in multiple continents, travelled to many places around the world, have earned multiple degrees and consider myself to be a well-rounded individual. But I am already amazed at everything I have learned so far, and how my perspective has shifted.

I am so grateful that I chose Fisher as my new home, and I am looking forward to two incredible years of learning, both in and out of the classroom!