Orientation, Week 1, and Quarter to Semester Shenannigans

Hello readers!

First, I want to introduce myself. My name is Delainie and I have just begun the journey through the Master of Accounting program this past Wednesday. This past June, I graduated from Fisher with a BSBA in Finance and chose to take a fifth year of schooling to earn my MAcc. I must say it feels like another world walking into the graduate programs building versus the four years I was walking through Schoenbaum and Mason Hall (the undergrad business buildings). Though I am sure I will accidentally walk into the Mason computer labs to print something in the near future…

But back to MAcc details…As I mentioned I have just started classes as a MAcc student. The plan as of now is to focus on a finance and audit track. The program is extremely flexible in the sense that I only have 4 required classes! (This works out to about 78% of the degree made up of electives.) I definitely recommend checking out our curriculum structure to learn more about the customization benefits. Such benefits are excellent for a girl like me, who at the end of her degree wasn’t ready to grow up just yet and wanted to explore all of her options in the world of finance and accounting.

Orientation for the MAcc program was packed full of events! We met our advisor, career consultant, and several professors to get a feel of how the structure of the program was going to work. As someone who is used to a quarter academic schedule, I must say it was quite a shock to hear our semesters were going to be split in half (two sets of 7-week classes).  But, I was ready for a change though and to be on the same time frame as other Universities nationwide. In addition to meeting the graduate staff, we were able to tour the stadium and press box, meet recruiters, participate in team building events from 50 feet in the air, AND were provided with free meals all day!

View of the field on our tour of the Shoe!

After orientation came to a close, I was ready to start class! For session 1 of Autumn semester I have a total of 5 classes-much different that the quarter schedule course load! Here is my schedule of courses:

1. AMIS 6000 Management and Control

2. AMIS 6200 Financial Reporting

3. BUS FIN 6211 Corporate Finance

4. AMIS 7500 Audit

5. AMIS 7400 Tax 1

So far, I am loving the professors for all of my courses and the groups we have formed for case studies! We will see how the rest of the semester plays out. I apologize in advance for the length of this first post … I will try to condense my rambling for future posts :) That is all for now!