My first two weeks at Ohio State

This is the very first time I’ve left my country and to begin an entirely new adventure in a totally different place as a new graduate student in the Fisher MLHR program. I’ve been here for more than two weeks and I enjoy everything here in Ohio State. Personally, I couldn’t figure out a better way to present my new life in Columbus than using pictures. I’ll show you several photos and tell you my Ohio State “newcomer” story.
The Oval   If you let me pick a place to be my favourite in Ohio State, I would definitely choose the Oval. Several days ago, I took my first campus walk from Fisher to the Ohio Union on a sunny afternoon and took this photo. When I walked on the Oval, I was immediately attracted to the beautiful green grassland and the pure blue sky. Many new OSU students with red t-shirts played teamwork games on the Oval. Laughter could be heard everywhere. Green, blue and smiling faces, how peaceful is this picture. Suddenly I realized why almost all the people who lived in Columbus or Ohio love OSU THIS much, not only for football, but also for this campus, this amazing campus.

UV   The next thing I want to talk about is my new apartment in UV. UV stands for University Village, which is a student community near campus. An interesting fact is that many of the Chinese students in Fisher master programs live in UV. During my first two weeks in UV, I was busy handling my furnitures and appliances. Everytime we saw our American neighbour move those things from home to their apartment with family’s help, we really admire that while what we can only do is to go to Walmart by bus and carry things as much as we can do. Prices of goods are also relatively high here when compared to China, and we still multiply the price by six subconsciously. However, we need to get used to it and make every effort to start a brand new life here. I look at the blue sky in Columbus, and I know everything will be fine in future.

Food   Food here is totally different. My host family took me to have some traditional American food and Mexican food. I could still remember my first meal was breakfast at McDonald’s, then lunch at Skyline Chili, and a dinner of homemade hotdogs. Then the second day were Chipotle and BBQ. Almost all of these are meat-and-bread-based, unlike vegetable-based in China. So I’m so amazed at most Americans are still in good shape though foods here are high in calories. If it was me, I may already be thousands of pounds! :) Anyway, I prepare to cook for myself in consideration of both cost and calories. I bought rice and some vegetables at Kroger (local grocery store) and got some Chinese style ingredient in Walmart. This picture is my first Chinese meal I cooked for myself: rice and fried chicken with potatoes. They are really delicious!

IFI Welcom Party   America is famous for its culture of party and social gatherings. Fortunately, I have a great chance to be part of it. IFI, International Friendship Inc, is a really nice organization who provided airport pick-up and temporary housing services for us international students. By IFI, I meet John and Cyndi, who picked me up at the airport and let me stay with them before I move in UV. They treated me like family and we shared a really unforgettable happy memory. So, on Saturday we had an Thank-you party in Union. I met John and Cyndi again, together with other 5 international students they were hosting. We danced together and chatted a lot. This party is so enjoyable to me that I may have missed another welcome activity at Fisher! (oops) This is my first American party, with my favourite American people. I’ll never forget it!

2 Responses to “My first two weeks at Ohio State”

1. 1 Lisa VH August 27, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Glad you have had a good first couple of weeks at OSU! I graduated from OSU a while back, and my out of state (we live near Washington, DC) daughter just graduated from OSU. She always remarked how nice OSU students were, and how comfortable she felt there. I hope you also get that nice comfortable feeling.

2. 2 Yixing Li August 28, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Thank you Lisa! I think I made a right decision to be here. OSU is such an amazing place and everybody here in Columbus love it. We are all buckeyes!