Climbing to the Top

We’re only starting the second week of classes, but I couldn’t be more pleased with my decision to return to Fisher.  Yes, I’m a former Buckeye, but with the new union, library, and everything else going on around campus, I almost feel like a freshman again.  Which makes the fact that I’ve been asked if I am a freshman several times within the last week slightly ironic…either my preventative wrinkle care regimen has made me look 18 again, or I just look like I have no idea where I’m going.  But, I digress…

Between all of the great things going on at Fisher – classes, student organizations, events, internship/job searching – I’m pretty sure I’m not going to get a good night’s sleep for the next couple of years, and I’m okay with that.  I had an amazing time getting to know my classmates during pre-term, and after the hours I spent studying data analysis this past weekend, I’ve also been able to catch up with my good friend, Excel.

I won’t bore you with every detail of pre-term, but I will tell you about my favorite part – Summit Vision!  Summit Vision is a team building camp with high element courses.  My team did the zip-line and pamper pole, but they also have a ropes course and a giant swing.  Let me tell you about this pamper pole!  It’s a telephone pole with pegs that you climb up and have to stand on top of.  Now, I’m not really one who’s afraid of heights.  My absolute favorite thing in the world is skiing (if you read my blog, you should get used to that now because I’ll probably talk about it pretty frequently!)  I’m constantly on lifts, on top of mountains, skiing off cliffs (…okay, maybe small cliffs, but a cliff is a cliff in my book.)  So, naturally, heights don’t really bother me.  Enter pamper pole.  In the climbing world, “Elvis leg,” is indeed a real term, and I found out first hand what this meant while making my ascent up the pole.  After you reach the top, you then have to turn yourself around and jump to a trapeze bar.  Good thing gymnastics was fresh in my mind from the Olympics!

Here I am at the top of the pole.  As you can see, I am pretty happy to have conquered it.  Minutes before, I probably wasn’t smiling because I had to consciously remember to breathe!

And here I am jumping to the trapeze bar.  I didn’t actually make it to the trapeze bar, but that’s not entirely the point… :) 

All in all, Summit Vision was a great experience that brought us closer together as a team and pushed our boundaries.  Every person in my group climbed the pole, no matter how afraid they were, and everyone else encouraged the person who was climbing (and believe me, it helps when you’re the one up there!) The MBA program at Fisher essentially has the same values, and I cannot wait to find out what the future holds.  Here’s to reaching new heights!