Barely have time to breathe? Get an MBA!

FREE BEER!

Before I start with the real deal, you should know that if you carefully read my posts you will learn about FREE BEER! And who doesn’t like FREE BEER? Of course, not every post will have FREE BEER in it, and I may even not talk about beer at all, but chances are one day will be your lucky day and the nectar of the gods will be bestowed upon you.

OK – now that I have your attention, back to business …

If you are like the “old me”, you barely have time to breathe. You probably work about 70 hours per week, not because you have multiple jobs, but because at your only job if you don’t do your tasks nobody will, and even more your colleagues come to you for help and you help them all the time. Oh, and that moment at the office when the unspeakable happens and the fan is hit… that means you’ll be there over the weekend too, to fix the problem. Vacation? You’re not exactly sure what that means. You didn’t have one of those in ages, but you remember reading about them in a newspaper. Or did you see it on TV? Things are blurry and unclear if this “vacation” thing is even real, or just a figment of your imagination. And then it happens.

I don’t exactly know how the transformation was triggered. I know I decided I really want my MBA sometimes mid-January (why I want it in a future post). I scheduled my GMAT exam in 8 weeks from that date, and I started to study every day for 2 hours. At first it was more like 1 hour, because I would start looking over the study books close to midnight, when my nine-to-five job allowed me to get home and then I was too tired. But then, day by day my priorities started to shift. I still finished all my tasks in time at work. I still helped all my colleagues that asked for help (probably not always taking the task from them and doing it instead, but pointing them in the right direction, on what/where to search). I started to get home sooner and sooner. At 10pm. Then at 9.30. Then at 8, and then at 6.15pm.

I got a pretty good GMAT score, and I applied on May 15th (that was the last day one could have applied for the fall semester). I got accepted (best day of this year, so far). I even had time to go to a VMware training course and a week-long Cisco conference. Somehow, without finishing any less tasks at work, and without neglecting anything important in my life, I am now reserving anywhere from 1 hour (weekdays without classes) to 5 hours per day (days with class or weekend days) for my MBA, and I still have more time than I had at the beginning of the year.

Maybe it’s just me, maybe starting an MBA will not clear your schedule. It did clear mine. I think the best decision I took this year so far was to start my MBA. ¬†And did I mention now I also have time to get my FREE BEER?