It’s not you … it’s me

Well, I should re-phrase that.  It’s not just you, it’s me too.  You may have heard this line before, typically associated with a breakup.  That’s not what I’m referring to here though.  No what I’d like to tell you is that when I first got a hold of the syllabi for my first term classes of my first year of my Fisher MBA, I immediately felt overwhelmed.  Even before our first day of classes, we were assigned several cases, textbook chapters and articles to read.  And after only two days of classes, the work has continued to pile on.  And I can’t imagine how I’m going to include all of the career searching, club joining, and personal-life living that I was hoping to do.

It was immediately evident upon walking out of only our second day of classes, most people were thinking the same thing as I was.  And that’s when a few of my fellow bewildered comrades and I got together and admitted to each other… it’s not just you, it’s me too.  We all felt the same way and were wondering what we got ourselves into!

What I’m trying to convey is that the workload at Fisher may seem a bit overwhelming upon first arrival.  But I’ve spoken with 2nd year MBA’s and alumni and they all persevered through these same feelings.  The MBA experience is not about just learning in the classroom, or joining as many clubs as you can fit on your resume. What I’ve quickly learned is that it’s also about learning how to manage all of the things you want to do with your limited resources (time, energy, passion, etc.) that you have.  I would like to leave you with a link to a very corny, yet inspirational video that was sent to me recently.  I think the message can be applied to anyone at any time in his/her life, but it’s especially pertinent to us first years who are trying to figure out how we’re going to juggle all that we need to over the next 20 months.

1 Response to “It’s not you … it’s me”

1. 1 Brian Smith August 24, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Don’t worry we all felt the same the first quarter/semester.

The key is not getting behind and realizing everyone else is in the same situation.

You won’t have a lot of time outside of studying, and it is hard to juggle school with work, family, and fun. After the first semester you’ll have a better idea of what’s up and it will get easier.