Electives…Friend or Foe?

With almost four quarters in the WPMBA program under my belt, the time has come to make the big leap from core classes to electives.  I am not entirely completely with the core courses, but due to the quarter-to-semester conversion, I won’t be taking my last quarter of electives until Spring of 2013. Which means it’s time to start taking electives.  Now, many of my classmates have been looking forward since day one to getting the core classes “over with” so they could begin taking electives.  I, on the other hand, am terrified of electives.

Why terrified, you ask?  For one, the choices themselves are overwhelming.  Fisher boasts a wide selection of course offerings, which is a good thing, I know – but makes deciding which ones to take a bit stressful.  What if you pick the wrong ones?  How do you know if the professor will be good, or if the class will be too challenging or not challenging enough?  I will do my best to talk to my older, wiser classmates who can provide advice on what to take and what not to take, but without a central depository for that type of information, it’s almost impossible to have the “in” on every class.

Perhaps even more disconcerting to me is the loss of “core comfort”.  For the past year, I have been told exactly what classes to take and when to take them.  I have gotten to know my classmates well.  Now, we are all going to be spilt up based on our interests and schedules – and that makes me sad.  I really like being in class on Tuesdays and Thursdays, seeing the same people.  Now, we will be spread out – I will probably have class on Monday and Tuesday, while some of my friends will have class on Wednesday and Thursday.  And what about seeing everyone at the bar on Thursday nights?!  “Growing up” is making me sad.

I need to remind myself that I am not in this program just to socialize (although that’s what makes it bearable) – that I am actually paying a lot of money to learn – and learn what I want to learn.  I also need to remind myself that new classes are an opportunity to meet new people, which means an opportunity for new, refreshing class discussions.  Change can be good!  At least I’ll keep telling myself that…

How Electives Make Me Feel