It’s that time of the quarter. Midterms are upon us. When it comes to studying for midterms, any, and I do mean any task seems better than studying. Clean the house, check. Work on taxes, check. Laundry, check.
Anyways, here’s a few tips on how I manage to focus on studying and not get completed burned out:
- Set a timer. I set the timer on the microwave for 90 minutes. I’d study for 90 minutes, break for 30-45, then study again.
- Find a room with minimal distractions and leave your material out. You can sit down and study without spending time getting books/computer/notes out.
- Use break times for Facebook/Pinterest/TV. I would leave my phone in another room when studying.
- Explain concepts to other people. Some of the bigger topics, I’d try to explain them to my husband and give examples related to what he does.
- If you have multiple exams, focus on the harder of the two, but do not neglect one exam altogether.
- Find a study group. Some people prefer to study in groups because each person picks up different information during a class and can help explain different topics.
- Stay positive. Going into an exam with a positive attitude makes a big difference.
Good luck with midterms!