Midterms – The time when my house is the cleanest! (aka “How to study and not get burned out”)

It’s that time of the quarter.  Midterms are upon us.  When it comes to studying for midterms, any, and I do mean any task seems better than studying.    Clean the house, check.  Work on taxes, check.  Laundry, check.

Anyways, here’s a few tips on how I manage to focus on studying and not get completed burned out:

• Set a timer.  I set the timer on the microwave for 90 minutes.  I’d study for 90 minutes, break for 30-45, then study again.
  • Find a room with minimal distractions and leave your material out.  You can sit down and study without spending time getting books/computer/notes out.
  • Use break times for Facebook/Pinterest/TV.  I would leave my phone in another room when studying.
  • Explain concepts to other people.  Some of the bigger topics, I’d try to explain them to my husband and give examples related to what he does.
  • If you have multiple exams, focus on the harder of the two, but do not neglect one exam altogether.
  • Find a study group.  Some people prefer to study in groups because each person picks up different information during a class and can help explain different topics.
  •  Stay positive.  Going into an exam with a positive attitude makes a big difference.

Good luck with midterms!