Real world experience: VITA Day 1

Friday was the first day of VITA (a volunteer income tax program, with which we complete tax forms for those in need). Everything went very well! Though there were only 10 of us volunteering this evening, we have about 70 volunteers overall. Most are MAcc students, but some are undergraduate or law students. We had a fair amount of online training to prepare for this, so it was fun to actually put the training to use and help people!

Working in teams of two, we used supporting documents and information from “clients” (this is done for free) to fill out federal and state tax returns. The online system we use helps to generate the forms pretty easily and determines the amount of money owed or expected to be refunded. It was wonderful to be able to help people with their questions, and everyone was appreciative! We got done early, but none of us volunteers was in a big hurry to leave, as it is always fun to be able to chat with other MAcc students whenever possible! We will be doing VITA through early March, so be on the lookout for other posts about it.

Some of us after completing the first evening of tax returns!

2 thoughts on “Real world experience: VITA Day 1”

1. Hi Rachel, do you know if that program is available in North Carolina. I have my own tax business and I would like to participate. thks

2. Hi Luis,
    Thanks so much for your question! I know that this program has been in North Carolina in the past, but I have not heard about any locations there this year. I believe you can call 800-906-9887 to check if there any VITA sites close to you. Good luck!