The Circleville Pumpkin Show: The Greatest Free Show on Earth

Yes, that is the weight written on the pumpkin!

The Circleville Pumpkin Show began in October 1903 as an event for residents and visitors of Circleville, OH and to display the best of Pickaway County’s agriculture. (See more Pumpkin Show history.) I personally have always known it as the best thing to do in the month of October for so many reasons!

One of the benefits of growing up in a smaller school in Pickaway county was not having school during the Pumpkin Show. Yes, that’s right! It is a huge event that requires the involvement of the community, which meant no school for me growing up! The admission-free festival packs live entertainment, parades, the Miss Pumpkin Show pageant and an amazingly vast array of pumpkin-flavored fair food into 5 days every mid-October. Is is any wonder they call it “The Greatest Free Show on Earth?”

Circleville, Ohio is only about a 30-minute drive from Columbus – which was an easy trek for me last Friday. These days, however my excitment for the Circleville Pumpkin Show surrounds the food, rather than the parades – and I have to say, this year it did not disappoint! Because I love them, I took my younger cousin and sister with me and below is a summary of our adventure:

• Arrive in Circleville
  • Head to Corndog stand
  • Eat Corndog
  • Head to pumpkin pizza stand
  • Eat pumpkin pizza
  • Browse the craft booths
  • Take picture of giant pumpkin winners! (see above)
  • Head to Schmidt’s Sausage Haus stand
  • Buy pumpkin cream puff (this one was not for me!)
  • Head to pumpkin ice cream stand
  • Eat pumpkin ice cream
  • Depart Circleville Pumpkin Show

If you happen to be in Central Ohio in October 2012 – it will be WELL worth your while to take a trip to the Pumpkin Show – trust me!