Priorities

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about making lists. Writing out what I need to accomplish during the week is a good start but after making the lists, I try to figure out what takes priority. The questions I ask myself each week usually are:

1. What’s the most important thing that I need to accomplish this week?
  2. Do I have a test this week? If so, how much time do I need during the weekend to study?
  3. How much reading do I have to do for the week in my classes? Will I have extra time during the week to get the material read or do I need to read some of it during the weekend?
  4. Do I have any work-related projects or committee meetings that I will need to work on after hours during the week? Since I have classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, Mondays and Wednesdays are pretty valuable study evenings but sometimes those nights get busy with other things.
  5. Looking ahead, what is going on in my classes in the next two or three weeks that I need to start working on?
  6. Can I plan some free time in my week/weekend?

Granted, no matter how much a person can plan, things do come up. But trying to figure out what my priorities are for the week, I can know that at the very least, I need to do the top two or three things on my lists.

And sometimes, question six wins. A person can only spend so much time studying. I had spent a good bit of Saturday studying for an exam so I took some time on Sunday to enjoy the sunshine and the last of the warm weather for the year. So I spent time with my dad while he harvested crops on our family farm.