My career fair adventure

This week is all about career fairs. I took part in both the Fisher and TLA career fairs. The first one is for Fisher students and the second is for logistics majors. There is also a graduate career fair next week.

Before the career fair
There is a lot of preparation that students need to do before the career fair. According to the Fisher Office of Career Management (“OCM”), we should first investigate the companies we are targeting, then work on our personal commercial,” which is a small personal introduction in a quiet business setting. My preparation went smoothly with the help of the Career Fair Guide, accessible from the OCM website and on-site.

During the career fair
Never before did I feel such pressure. I was dressed up, wearing high heels that I am still not used to, trying to make a professional impression on others. The big ballroom was crowded with people but there were some booths not occupied with students. Whenever I made eye contact with a company employee who was available, I went directly toward them, because I think it is rude not to talk with them after making eye contact. I sometimes struggled on what I should say, what question(s) I should ask.

After the career fair
Following up is perhaps the most difficult step. First, you need to ensure you keep track of everyone you speak to – you need to ensure you get everyone’s business card and write a quick note on the back of each in order to help you remember anything about your conversation with that person. Right now, I am still writing emails to those people I met and am looking forward for replies.