Don’t know what you wanna be when you grow up?…… Come to Fisher!

I had been thinking about business school from the moment I graduated from my undergraduate institution.  In fact, I distinctly remember telling my career counselor that my plan was to work for a few years to gain some industry experience, and head back to B school. (This was partly because as much as I enjoyed my time studying Greek and Latin, I knew my area of study would be of minor help in the corporate world).

Then I entered the work world and was sucked into a delightful little spiral in which I was learning a new industry, taking new jobs, being promoted, and moving to new cities to gain new experiences.   Oh, and I was making money.  It didn’t seem prudent to leave all of that to go back to school, especially since I didn’t know exactly what I what I wanted to do after school.

And I still don’t know.  The great thing about Fisher is that more people seem to be in the “not knowing” category than the “knowing” one.  Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of people that know exactly why they are here getting an MBA and how it will help them to further their careers in a given field.  I envy them.  But, it’s great to know that I’m surrounded by people who spend a great deal of time pondering the age old question “what am I going to be when I grow up?”  (A question that I’m given to understand is OK to ask at all ages, if my Dad is any indication.  A man with a fantastic career that he loves isn’t afraid to think there might be something new and different on the horizon.)

Fisher is a great place to spend your time pondering your next career move, while you learn the fundamentals of the business world.  The resources to help you find your ideal career path are endless.  The career services center is one boundless melting pot of information that is distributed through all of the different people that work to help Fisher students find jobs/careers.  The boot camps that they administer at the beginning of the year are a great way to gain industry insight.  Career fairs, career aptitude tests, company information, corporate visits, and of course, your classmates, are all great and supportive tools in your search for what you want to be when you grow up.

I’ve already been able to narrow down my fields of interest and the areas on which I want to focus my studies by utilizing the resources at Fisher, and I’ve only been here a few weeks!  Fear not, I’m still far from knowing exactly what I’ll be doing in June 2013.  But I know I”ll enjoy the path of discovery that Fisher will take me on to get there.

A path, I might add, that includes the support of little Einstein.

That's his "listening" face.