Breathe in and breathe out …

As a graduate student entering your first year or a returning graduate student coming back after a longer break, like myself, you need to relax. I had the fortune of having a very successful first year in the MBA program, due to hard work, studying, and maximizing my time. Coming into year two I have increased my course load with the expectation that I will not tolerate a dip in success. After the first week back I felt I was out of my “groove” and felt overwhelmed. This combined with the fact that I was taking classes with people I have never had class before, since I was taking evening classes with part-time students and now I am in day classes with only full-time students, I felt anxious and buried. This will happen to everyone at some point or another; before an exam, an interview, a class, etc. Now that I am also starting to attend information sessions, job hunt, and still maintain my responsibilities at home, I remembered something. This is a temporary stop for me to have an outstanding future. The stress I am feeling now will only last nine more months and then it is over. If you do not stop and look around you may lose your perspective or goal.

So, if you are feeling out of sorts or a bit overwhelmed follow these steps.

1. You are only here for a short amount of time, appreciate that time because you will never experience this again.

2. Remember why you are here

3. Realize how lucky you are to be here and in this situation

4. You will hit your stride as long as you stay calm

5. Breathe. Look around, take it all in. Talk to your professors, students, career management, these are relationships you need and will benefit from.

You are here for a purpose and everyone here is in a similar situation or here to help you. Take advantage of your resources and thank the stars you are at The Fisher College of Business on the campus of the best University. Once you graduate no more daily interactions with classmates, professors, student tickets. You will look back and think your stress over exams was ill placed because real stress lies in making tough decisions every day at your workplace, which is what Fisher is preparing you for. After doing this I feel more relaxed and am back in my “groove” baby. Let’s do this!

Now breathe in….hold it…..a little longer….breathe out….

Next thing you know it will be commencement. Time will fly.