Study Spaces: Caffe’ Apropos

Caffe' Apropos

I think one of the most difficult tasks of a student in a new city is finding the perfect place to study.  Yes you could go to the library, or sit in your apartment, but I personally have trouble studying next to noisy freshmen (O wow, you got invited to a frat party!) or next to my television (Jersey Shore marathon > net present value calculations).  Having gone to Ohio State for 4+ years now, I have the distinct advantage of having visited a lot of coffee shops trying to find the perfect place to study.  In my inaugural blog post, I would like to share one of my favorites.

Caffe’ Apropos is a little coffee shop on the corner of 3rd Ave & Michigan Ave.  They bill themselves as a European espresso bar, but having never visited one of those I’ll have to take their word for it.  What makes Caffe’ Apropos so great?

1. The music: There always needs to be a little music playing at a coffee shop, but often times it’s either too loud or not conducive to studying.  Here the music is just the right volume and the genre leans towards hipster rock.  It’s not overly hipster (i.e. let’s sing out of tune, play off rhythm, and pretend we’re making unique music) and most songs have a nice energetic feel that keeps you moving through the textbook.

2.  The coffee/food: The options for coffee are pretty standard, but it’s cheap and the sizes seem bigger than most places.  The food ranges from light snacks like muffins and pretzels to more substantive fair like big salads and sandwiches. There are definitely plenty of options to choose from.

3.  The general atmosphere: There are always people studying, and while they might sometimes be in groups, no one is too loud.  Caffe’ Apropos is (for me) the perfect size as well.  It is small enough to feel charming and cozy, but not so small that you feel like you’re studying over the shoulder of the person next to you.  They provide couches, regular tables, and an outside patio to suit your study needs. Sitting outside on a nice day is especially enjoyable, as there’s plenty of people watching to be had.

4. The after-study options: Perhaps one of the best features of Caffe’ Apropos is their liquor license.  In addition to coffee and espresso they also have a bar with a variety of beers on tap (as well as bottles of course).  Off to the side of the main room is a small “wine boutique” with a nice selection of wine.  After a hard day of studying, it’s great to buy a bottle of wine and sit outside sipping and enjoying the weather (glasses generously provided by the Caffe’).  Don’t worry though, it doesn’t feel like you’re studying at a bar, as this is more of a bonus than a main feature.

Obviously each person has their own preferences for what makes a study spot great, but Caffe’ Apropos works perfectly for me.  If you ever feel like getting out of the apartment and getting some work done in a unique environment then look no further than the Caffe’.

Wine at the Caffe'

A little post-study celebration.

1 Response to “Study Spaces: Caffe’ Apropos”

1. 1 Sarah September 29, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I study there all the time! Love it- and cute guys too :)