Countdown

I graduate on August 28. What’s left? Five classes, two case studies to write, and then one final exam. I plan on participating in commencement, which means the purchase of a cap, gown and hood is planned for this weekend.

It’s a bittersweet feeling. There are some things I will miss from my experience as an MBA student. There are also some I’m glad to be leaving behind. Want to know what they are? Well, here are a couple of lists, one for the good, and one for the not-so-good.

First, the not-so good:

• Studying on the weekend. After my daughter goes to bed for the night, I’m just too tired to think. I find I concentrate much better in the morning (like most people, I guess), but I have to work, so I spent most of my weekends for the last two years studying and working on projects with my groups.
  • Freezing classrooms. My office is also freezing in the summer, so I’m walking around carrying a sweater when the heat index is 110. Perhaps one is more productive when one is cold?
  • Exit 2B on I-670 westbound onto 315 north. One lane of traffic, and always jammed at 5pm on weekdays.
  • Poor writing in case studies. Okay, I majored in English as an undergrad, so I am probably a literary snob. But I can’t tell you how many cases began: “John Doe, a newly minted MBA, looked out of his office window as he contemplated a momentous decision he must make about Company X.” Bo-ring! It’s much better when a case sticks to the facts and doesn’t try to be a narrative.
  • First day of class every quarter. I’m always a bit anxious about it. With the quarter system, you jump right on in and usually have to get a group assembled the first day.

And now for the good:

• First day of class every quarter. Sounds weird, since it’s also not-so-good, but I truly enjoy learning, and every new class has been eye-opening in some way.
  • My classmates. Some people make really good friends during their time at Fisher. I didn’t make any BFFs, but some people do (and more)! Besides that, they’re all in the same boat with you. They want good grades like you do, and your group members don’t want to let you down.
  • The RPAC. Especially the pool! It’s such a great facility—I’m jealous of all the students who live on campus. I’d have been so much thinner at age 20. Maybe.
  • Being a student at Ohio State. Partly because it’s a trip down memory lane—I’m already among the Buckeye alumni—but also seeing how the campus has changed has been fascinating.
  • Tai’s Asian Bistro. My fast-food dinner of choice. They’re opening up a sushi bar too!