Two Years

The other day I put in the paperwork to graduate Summer quarter 2011. I mentioned this to Marie, my wife, and she said, “Wow, that went quick.”

Quick? I don’t think so. Only two years on the calendar, but those two years were made up of some pretty long days. ¬†Two or three days a week, for two years, I was busy straight through from 6am to 11pm: get up early to get the kids ready, work a job all day, spend another four hours in class, flop into bed long after everyone in the house was already sleeping.

Weekends were for homework, so were a few hours in the evening during the week when there were no tennis games, school concerts, parent-teacher conferences or community obligations.

School has been at least another part-time job on top of the full-time jobs I have at home and work, plus the other part-time jobs I do.

Two years of deferred home improvement projects, fascinating books not read, magazines piling up and friendships put on ice.

But I did it, and I liked it, and it was worth it. It was only two years, but I feel a lifetime wiser.

And thanks to Marie for putting up with my absences all that time.

1 Response to “Two Years”

1. 1 Antown May 30, 2011 at 12:56 am

If you have small children who only went to school, the days of your life will be very intense. It is not surprising that you had from 6 am to 11 pm, get up early to get the kids ready, work a job all day, spend another four hours in class, flop into bed long after everyone in the house was already sleeping. Through it all go.