My Study Time Wasters

I’ve found out there are lots of ways to spend your time in graduate school.  It’s possible you could be devoting your time to studying for exams, quizzes and group projects.  Right now, you may be spending your time preparing your body for a tropical spring break trip.  You could even spend some time working at a job or hanging out with friends.  Yet, what I’ve discovered as a graduate student is that I spend a lot of my time on ‘things’ that waste my time, especially when it comes to studying.

So instead of wistfully writing about how one can improve their study habits by eliminating procrastination or using planning and organization skills, I decided to list my all-time TOP 5 study time wasters.

1.  House Hunters International.  The Office.  CSI: Miami. When it comes to TV, these are my top shows.  And when it comes time for me to study, there always seems to be someone who is buying a $1.3 million family vacation home in the Bahamas on House Hunters International.  Who would pass up watching that?  Answer:  not me.

2.  Napping. I’ve come to a stage in my life where I need “at least” a one hour nap per day.  And if I have to chose between studying and napping, I’ll always chose napping.

3.  Pokerstars.net. I decided to see how fast I could accumulate a million in “fake” poker chips.  Well, it took me about 3 weeks to accumulate $750,000, but I lost half my stack on a big hand.  Needless to say, it took me a couple more weeks to make up that difference PLUS what I needed reach my goal.  From time to time, I’ll play for fun.  But playing that can sure burn the time.

4.  Playing Guitar. Ah, music.  I lot it.  But sometimes I don’t love the fact that I will play the guitar for 2-3 hours in a row.  I’ve definitely moved past the ‘guilt’ stage and have accepted the fact that I will always play no matter the circumstances.  Out of every time waster on my list, THIS ONE gets me every time.  All I can say is that at least my 6-string doesn’t feel neglected.

and

5.  The Daily Commuter. I have this bad habit of solving ’The Daily Commuter’ crossword puzzle Monday – Saturday.  I got hooked on this about 3-4 years ago and I have never been able to stop since.  I like that fact that it warms up my brain and keeps me sharp.  Sometimes it takes me 20 minutes to solve and sometimes it takes about an hour+ to solve.  It depends on who wrote the crossword puzzle for that particular week.  It’s nerdy, but I like it.

I thought about listing “doing nothing” as a time waster, but I just wasn’t sure if that counts.  I know the character, Peter Gibbons, from the movie, Office Space, coined that phrase.  But if there was a 6th time waster, it would be sitting around and doing absolutely nothing except the basic essentials of living.

All in all, I am sure we all have our “pet” time waster.  Whatever they are, I am sure they are all well reasoned and well just justified.

2 Responses to “My Study Time Wasters”

1. 1 Garren Cabral March 1, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I always have to watch The Game and Jersey Shore…that’s why I never go to VC (but I guess you don’t either since you were too good to take that class). I also waste time BLOWIN GASKETS.

2. 2 Wes Nile March 15, 2011 at 1:33 am

I am both a pawn star & poker star fan. Both are excellent time wasters.