Life Outside of MLHR

First and foremost, I have to put a disclaimer out there before continuing: Please don’t judge by the title of this post that I by any means dislike my program or the people in it, in fact just the opposite. I LOVE my program and everyone in it! However, there comes a time when you need a little space to breath outside of the program. As some of the second years told me as soon as classes started in the fall, it is very easy to get consumed with HR and the program itself. In fact, one person told me, “you really need to make an effort to have a little bit of a life outside the program because this can easily become your entire life.” Not that it’s a bad thing, but you really do need a little bit of balance of a life outside of MLHR.

Based upon this advice, I made a special effort to keep in touch with my friends from undergrad who moved away from Columbus and those who are in Columbus, but just work full-time now. Over Christmas Break, I was so fortunate to get in back in touch with one of my best friends from high school. We hadn’t talked in a while, so it was so great to catch up and come to find out that she is now a 1L at OSU!! And I thought going to school and working 32 hours per week was rough! My friend’s schedule is CRAZY, but it’s fun to hear about her graduate level experience and to meet some of her friends from law school. And, it’s a great opportunity to network with people who aren’t part of the same program. The law students offer a completely new perspective on graduate level studies and they can relate to HR in some ways, since there are plenty of laws and court cases that concern HR.

Now that my boyfriend is back from his internship in Atlanta last quarter, it has also been a blessing that I can spend time with him now. Unfortunately for him, he now has to listen to HR jargon pretty much 24-7 seeing as how the program is always fresh on my mind. But it is nice to get out of the MLHR bubble a few times a week and hear about his projects in engineering.

Finally, one of my New Year’s Resolutions (even though I try not to make them, since they usually don’t make it into action) is to go to more events outside of the MLHR program, but with other MLHR students. For example, last quarter I was a slacker and didn’t go to any of the Event of the Week activities, which is meant for all of the Fisher graduate programs. This quarter I want to make it to some of those events to meet other Fisher graduate students. It is good to meet new people, especially other Fisher Graduate students, since, as HR professionals we will be working with businesspeople who do not have a degree in HR.

It’s so important to have at least a little balance between life outside of MLHR and life within the program just to keep yourself sane. It doesn’t mean that you don’t love your program and your friends in your program, it just means a more balanced life, filled with a variety of friends who each offer different, unique perspective.

Below is a picture with some of my friends outside of the MLHR program at a football game a few years ago……

Liz, Katie, Rebecca