New Year Excitement

There are several ways people choose to spend both the last few moments of the ending year and the first few moments of a new one. Some people choose to contemplate. These want to ponder on the activities of the dying year and analyze their life over that time. Perhaps they think about goals they had previously set and what occurred in their lives to allow or prevent them from achievement. Likely, these people give time and thought to the upcoming year and what they will strive to accomplish: new year’s resolutions. There exists a polar opposite from this group. These people find little reason to contemplate things past and things that are to come let alone stay up to see the transition. Perhaps these people are comfortable in bed knowing that the good night’s rest is essential to starting a new day now. After all, the old adage states, “yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift; that is why they call it the present.” Yet still you might find another way of approaching New Year’s Eve. Many people are social creatures and love to party! Many Americans celebrate random holidays to give themselves excuses to spend time with friends and enjoy each others company (I know St. Patrick’s Day is originally an Irish Catholic holiday but that doesn’t stop the rest of America from wearing green).

New Years

Perhaps I don’t subscribe to labels or maybe I’m just confused but I’d like to say I find a little bit of myself in all of those approaches. Better yet, maybe that’s where most people are too. I did catch myself reflecting on how the year panned out and what I might like to change this upcoming year. After all, if you never set goals and hold yourself accountable (through measurement and reporting), you might never accomplish things you truly desired. At the same time, I don’t think I take it too seriously. While committing to a goal is paramount in reaching it, beating yourself up (if you fail) does very little to help you out. In fact, I went to bed rather early New Year’s morning: before 1 a.m. Part of the reason I was even up that late was because so many of my friends were out and socializing. There was camaraderie outside of the guise of some sort of work. It was fun.

Classes started Monday the 3rd (a slight downside to being on a quarter system school). To be honest, I have enjoyed the way this year has started. I frankly get bored easily and returning to classes has helped me add structure to my day. We have had the opportunity of witnessing Buckeye superiority in a thriller BCS bowl game (at least we showed up from the Big 10 conference). Make sure you check it out if you haven’t already. 2010 has been wonderful to me but I’m ready for 2011. This year I can look forward to finishing my graduate education, becoming a Certified Public Accountant, moving back to New York, and starting a new phase of life. Look out!