My Winter Break Excitement

Ah, finally back in Columbus after a very relaxing Christmas break in the South Dakota.

For the 2nd time, I decided to drive instead of fly home for Christmas break.  I certainly question my career choice at times because it seems I turn more into an armchair meteorologist than anything.  It astounds me how much I hawk The Weather Channel making sure I don’t get caught in some crazy winter storm that always seems to try to ruin the last few days of the year.  As mentioned in my previous blog, last Christmas was mucho frio — as in -30 degrees Fahrenheit plus factor in wind chills of -40 to -50.  Needless to say, I did not want a repeat performance of that this year.  As for this winter break, I got more than I bargained for…again.

Here are some highlights of my break:

1.  The drive from Ohio to SoDak was wonderful!  Great weather – All sun and NO snow, just how I like it!  I got to do a little bit of shopping in Omaha, NE, before making my way north to Sioux Falls, SD.  But, as I journeyed north to Sioux Falls, SD, the temperature dropped 25 degs from 28 degs to 3 degs.  Only one word to describe that:  dumb.

2.  I tried to get up at 2am in the morning to see the Lunar Eclipse.  Unfortunately, it was too cloudy but I didn’t miss much – my uncle took some sweet pictures with his camera and showed me during our family xmas!

3.  I ate at my two favorite restaurants ever:  Johnny Carino’s and Tokyo.  I would have to say Carino’s has thee best Italian food I’ve ate in my life.  I recommend the Lemon Rosemary Chicken or Bowtie Festival.  Second, I miss good sushi!  Tokyo has an amazing California Roll and Fried Salmon Crab Potstick roll.  Miss the maki rolls!

4.  Got to spend CHRISTMAS with my family!!!  Lots of food, lots of fun!

5.  I managed to get 3 super cold, snowy days of pheasant hunting in during my break.  I shot a lot and I missed a lot.  No pheasants for me this year – which is a first.

6.  Played a lot of DDR with my niece.  I swear I heard Lady Gaga and Jordan Sparks at least ten thousand times…not because the dance sequence was cool, but because my niece is in love with those songs!  I was regretting that purchase for her until I saw Vanilla Ice and NKOTB songs were on it – YES!  Nothing like jumping on a plastic mat to Ice Ice Baby!

and lastly…

7.  This is my favorite.  Well, not really.  To make a really long story short, for the past 6.5 years I’ve intermittently battled kidney stones.  For some odd reason, after my tour of duty in Iraq, I occasionally have a random flair-up episode.  To my surprise, my last minor brush with the stones was last xmas break.  Well, as luck would have it, I got them again.  And this time, it was bad enough that I had to go to the hospital.  I’ve been told by many doctors who have administered me pain meds for my kidney stones that passing a stone is like giving birth.  For me, I can’t say either way, but if that is true, then I’ve had about 7 children so far.  My only regret about the whole kidney stone thing is this:  I feel like I’ve been a dead-beat dad because I haven’t named any my “children of the stone.”   Check the picture at the end of the blog…I managed a ‘Go Bucks’ thumbs-up.

Takeaway from Winter Break:  No Blizzard (which I dodged by less than 12 hours)!!!

I hope everyone had a wonderful winter break!  Now its time to rev up for Winter Quarter 2011!

GO BUCKS!